3.24.2012

Vessels.

We are vessels that the Lord uses to accomplish His work. That's what this post is about.

Although, I never really liked the word "vessel." Reminds me of blood. But that's just because I'm into science and stuff. It could also be a boat. 

Anyways, so I was completely caught off-guard by the advice of a 14-year-old tonight. We were just at Starbucks, having coffee after youth group. I took her out because I felt like maybe I could encourage her in some things, and reach out to her. (Irony.) We were talking about homeschooling vs. public schooling, and how she felt about possibly going to a public high school next year after being homeschooled her entire life. I asked her if she was nervous at all, and she said yeah. After all, it wasn't just high school that was going to be new, but public school as well... all thrown her way at once. I was able to offer some advice, having done both myself, and then I went into how I was definitely nervous about West Point next year. I told her how I was plagued with fear, about silly things like failing my classes, or not enjoying it once I got there. She sat there for a moment, and then says, "So I'm really bad at giving advice, but like, you have to just continue the journey in the zeal that you started it with." And right away, like 5 verses popped into my head (Romans 12:11) and we talked about them... but I almost couldn't even talk because of the profoundness of what she had just said. Her comment carried so much wisdom, and was exactly what I needed to hear, and she didn't even know it. And I thought I was going to be the one helping her! So that got me to thinking... how many times have I said something that affected someone else, without even realizing it?

And, more importantly... how should that affect how I interact with people? I mean, we never know who is watching. And this isn't the first time this has happened; God uses people in my life constantly. But am I ready and available for Him to use me? Do I pray for Him to speak through me? Just something to think about...

But isn't it cool that He uses us, even when we're unaware of it? He uses us even when we don't ask Him to, even when our motives are flawed. Even when our hearts are selfish (aka always). That doesn't stop Him from accomplishing His perfect will in us, and likewise in the Kingdom.


And in that moment You opened up the heavens
To the broken the beggar and the thief
Lifted out of the wreckage
I find hope in the aftermath
-Aftermath, Hillsong United

No comments:

Post a Comment