7.20.2011

How July Isn't Normal.

So... I posted this on my facebook about 3 weeks ago, at the very beginning of July. For various reasons I'm just now putting it up here. Since apparently its possible to find my blog. Haha.

For the month of Jully, starting in...26 minutes, I will not be as easily accessible as most of you are accustomed to. More specifically:
1. I will not be on facebook.
2. I will (ideally) not be using my cell phone.
3. I wil not be spending money.
4. I will not be listening to secular music.
Well, really the first two are the only things that have to do with trying to contact me, but the last two are related as well.
You might be thinking, 'Isn't that a bit extreme?' or maybe you're asking 'why...?' Or, probably for the majority, 'WHAT THE FRUITCAKE IS WRONG WITH YOU?!'
Allow me to explain.
I'll make it short, I promise ;-).

I have been blessed to experience and witness the powerful influence that God has on people, and the great and awesome love He goes to such lengths to show to all of us. This is something that I've "always known," but since I'm human, it sometimes leaves my heart. I know with my head, but my heart grows cold. During the past few weeks, God has worked in my life in ways I didn't know were poeeible; He rescued me when I didn't know I was lost. I realized that the God I profess to be crazily in love with is still only a part of my life. In this world, and in this generation, there are so many distractions that take away from my time with my Best Friend. While sometimes, I desire to spend all day with Him, in His Word, talking with Him, the world soon catches up to me. I want to fully experience what it means to have my entire life centered around Christ. I long to draw near to Him! But how helpless I am to do so. He has made the way for connection and communion with Him; He's trying to speak to me and teach me things about Himself. But, in my life, other things compete for my attention. This month, I'm dedicating myself to listening better. To hearing and receiving what He has to teach me. And, I've decided (or been challenged, I guess you could say) to completely rid myself of the competition, of the distractions in my life, for one month. (Well, the ones that are possible. For example, I'm not going to stop showing up to work, or quit going to my summer classes, even though those things can prove to be distractions if not held in check. I believe in upholding previous committments as well.) I'm not going to get on facebook. I'm not going to text or use my phone, unless it's a family emergency. (Which means never, 'cause we're the Graves and we're awesome and we don't have problems ;). ) I'm not going to spend money. This mainly applies to while I'm at work, because I get lazy and instead of making myself a lunch I spend $15 a week on food. But that's a story of it's own. I'm not going to listen to secular music, because during that time, my heart is not on God and His mercy and goodness.

Yes, it's a bit extreme. Actually, it's really extreme. (Or maybe, to some of you, it's no big deal? I dont know!) I'm not sayng that I'm going to do it forever. But I might, who knows? ;) It's worth it. I get to know God better! That's awesome! And... is something wrong with me? Well, it depends on what you call "wrong." Me? I'm captivated by my Creator. :)

I'm not by any means saying that this is the only way to get close to God. I'm not trying to place guilt on anyone, or seem self-righteous... I hope that's not how I'm coming across. And I'm not trying to isolate myself, but just the opposite. I'm "freeing myself up" for the One who loves me the most.

So... it turned into a long story after all. But in a good way. Thank you for reading this.

The earth is the LORD's, and all it contains,
The world, and those who dwell in it.
For He has founded it upon the seas
And established it upon the rivers.
Who may ascend into the hill of the LORD?
And who may stand in His holy place?
He who has clean hands and a pure heart,
Who has not lifted up his soul to falsehood
And has not sworn deceitfully.
He shall receive a blessing from the LORD
And righteousness from the God of his salvation.
This is the generation of those who seek Him,
Who seek Your face.
-Psalm 24:1-6

I can't wait to share all that God's done in me, and the different things I've done with my time!

No comments:

Post a Comment